January 14, 2012

Back To Basics

Well I have been thinking a lot about this new year and what goals I wanted to set for myself. I haven't had the time until now to really sit down and write them out. One word I keep thinking about and keep trying hard at is, simplicity. As I have started my dietitian program we have had to start right at the beginning of basic nutrition. I tend to quickly get overwhelmed with all the amazing blogs, recipes, newest food item to cook with, cooking with meat is the best, only eat vegan, start juicing, only organic, and the latest supplement that we MUST have to have immediately. That's why  I have really enjoyed all my classes. We went back to the basics. Now it seems that nutrition is simple and easy. If you feed your body what is needs, exercise a little portion control, then to me you are doing pretty good in my book. Here are a couple charts and things I have been really using and applying. Remember this stuff is simple, no new sweet trick to loose 20 lbs in 1 day. It is simple, sweet and to the point.


The portions on this should fit nicely on an ikea kids plate.



Kids Nutrition

Every day they should have:

3 servings of veggies 
2 servings of fruit
3 servings of whole grains
3 servings calcium rich foods

(of course lean meat source of proteins, fats, and fibers too)

For me I wasn't even close to feeding Wes all of this in one day. So we quickly made some changes. The hardest one for us is the 3 servings of veggies each day. My amazing sister Jenna recently posted a kid friendly green smoothie. I quickly jumped on that to get one of my servings done within a smoothie. Genius. Here is the 


(Scroll down a little and you will see it.) Also check out Jenna's blog. She always has the best posts.  So click on the follow bottom so you can always see what this Mommy in Manhattan is up to next. 

There is my two cents on Nutrition for you. I have learned so much and will continue to keep sharing as I learn more.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

yesss keep the nutrition posts coming :)

Jenna said...

I agree! love them. thanks for the shout out!

Liz Van Stoles said...

Hi, I love so much your blog and I want to say to you: Good Lock ;)


Kisses ...
http://flordemetro.blogspot.com.br/

Unknown said...

I like what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work and coverage! Keep up the wonderful works guys I've added you guys to blogroll
Wedding turban

abo-bder said...

فنى